Fort Belvoir, VA –
The DCAA internship program is one of the two federal Pathways Programs in which current students can explore what it’s like to work at DCAA and in the federal government. Whether you’re currently a DCAA intern or just now learning about the opportunity, here are 5 key takeaways that our interns want to share about how to get the most out of the program experience.
- Ask Questions - “Make sure you build a good relationship with your team. Don't feel intimidated; they're here to help you and talking to them will aid you in better understanding the job,” advises DCAA Intern, Anna Quach. Supervisors appreciate when interns ask questions because it shows their desire to learn.
- Take Initiative - “Be willing to take on any tasks offered to you. I have worked on multiple audit teams because [they] have needed help,” says current Intern, Amanda Obara. Taking advantage of opportunities not only demonstrates your willingness to help the team, but also allows you to see a wider range of experiences than you may have anticipated.
- Be Open to Learning - “Have an open mind and try to absorb as much as you can. There will be a lot of new information given to you, and most of it you will probably know nothing about,” notes Ronald Vonberge. DCAA knows that learning extends beyond the classroom. Our team is dedicated to training our interns and equipping them with the skills to be successful in their careers.
- Know You’re Making Real Contributions - “There is a tremendous amount of behind-the-scenes work that goes into supporting our great military. There are thousands of people that serve this country without having to carry a rifle. I'm happy to do my part to support our troops and make sure taxpayer money is being used appropriately,” says Thomas Mullen. Our interns see first-hand that DCAA’s work helps to support our warfighters.
- Soak It All In - “Going into this internship I was unaware of the amount of DOD contracts that were out there!” explains Megan Willems, “Things may seem very overwhelming at first, but [they] start to fall into place and the puzzle pieces come together.” There is so much to see and learn as a DCAA intern, and we are committed to providing the best opportunity for all participants.