Fort Belvoir, Va. –
Direct Hire Authority (DHA) is a temporary authority granted to agencies by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) to hire individuals in an expedited manner.
DHA allows agencies to:
- Waive the rating and ranking system (including examinations, if required)
- Suspend veterans’ preferences
- Eliminate the “Rule of Three” – where hiring managers are presented the top three candidates
Agencies must still post vacancy announcements and include information about the use of DHA, but when the agency identifies a qualified candidate, an employment offer can be made on the spot and an appointment can be made immediately.
DHA does not waive qualification requirements – all candidates selected using DHA must meet the same qualification requirements as other candidates.
DCAA uses three types of DHA
- Expedited Hiring Authority – used at job fairs to give on the spot job offers to qualified candidates.
- Direct Hire for Post-Secondary Students and Recent Graduates – used to collect resumes and transcripts at college job fairs for subsequent job offers.
- Financial Management (FM) Career Field – allows hiring of individuals in specific FM fields, including auditors.
For more information about positions with DCAA, visit the career center page on our website.