Fort Belvoir, VA, –
DCAA participates in a multitude of career fairs throughout the year, which provide great opportunities to learn about the Agency and connect with recruiters. Here are some tips to get the most from these events:
Before a Virtual Career Fair
- Do your research - Visit the DCAA website to learn about the Agency’s mission and auditing focus, so you can ask questions and engage with recruiters. Being prepared will help set you apart.
- Update your resume - Make sure your qualifications are up to date and relevant to the positions you’re interested in. This also includes updating your LinkedIn profile in case recruiters ask for the link. Check out our blog on resume tips to help.
- Practice your elevator pitch - If you had 30 seconds to show a recruiter why you are a great candidate, what would you say? Think of what you want to convey to recruiters about your qualifications, skills, and experience.
During a Virtual Career Fair
- Dress to impress - Dress the same way you would if you were meeting in person.
- Remember your “netiquette” - Keep your camera on, join from a quiet environment, and try to have a plain background. Don’t snack or look at other devices during the event.
- Be aware of your body language - Maintain eye contact and practice mindful listening by occasionally nodding and smiling politely. Limit unnecessary movements to avoid distracting recruiters and other participants.
- Ask questions - Take advantage of the opportunity to ask about the DCAA application process, auditing responsibilities, or what you’d personally be contributing to the organization.
- Use the chat function - Many career fairs have one-on-one or group chat functions. Make sure to use proper grammar and avoid slang or typos if you’re conversing via text.
After a Virtual Career Fair
- Follow up - Recruiters want to know you’re interested in the Agency as much as you want them to be interested in you. A genuine note expressing your interest can go a long way.
- Apply to open positions - Now that you have learned more about the Agency and available positions, it’s time to apply to the one you are best-suited for!
In addition to participating in external virtual career fairs, DCAA will soon be hosting virtual dedicated hiring events. To learn more about these events, please read What to Expect at an Expedited Hiring Event.